I start each new assignment by asking many questions of myself, before I even begin the discovery process – what can I offer that will be of help? How can I best empower and guide them through their transition and prepare them for the future? What is the right timing for introducing new solutions or ideas?
Then, through a thorough assessment leading to a custom workplan, I methodically model and practice various techniques of nonprofit management that have been most effective for me in my 20+ years of executive management, including:
- Shared leadership and accountable management teams,
- Collaborative decision making,
- Leadership development of department directors and associate EDs,
- Open and transparent communication with all staff and board, and
- Strengthening boards through board training and clear governance practices.
In my executive transition work I stay mindful of the phases of the engagement from start to finish and remind staff and board of each phase so there are no surprises. This steady approach has allowed me to enter and leave new situations causing as little trauma as possible. If you do interim ED work you understand that Interim ED work is sensitive work.